socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

what is a conservatorship My relative had a stroke and has

what is a conservatorship? My relative had a stroke and has no power of attorney.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.
In NJ, a "conservatorship" means that a person who has the legal capacity to make decisions for themselves, voluntarily permits another person to control the conservatee's property.

A "guardianship" means a court appointment to permit a guardian to control a person as a dependent, and/or his/her property.

In short, a conservatorship is voluntary, whereas a guaridanship is involuntary.

If your relative had a stroke and is mentally incapable of making decisions for him/herself, then you need a guardianship.

For an eldercare lawyer referral, see these links: ABA; Martindale.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney (or, for the purpose of obtaining debt relief counseling under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code); (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.