Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

I use to find definitions of spousal abuse that listed types

I use to find definitions of spousal abuse that listed types of abuse. one of them was financial abuse. my wife kept giving her parents money without asking me while I was out of town. loans, purchases of household items and even pays their bills. her parents gamble in shreeveport alot and now because I put a stop to it, she wants a divorce, custody and support. I have built a case against her but have truoble finding definitions of the different types of spousal abuse. where can i find these different types and print them for my case. by the way. I started paying for attorney and filed first befor her parents helped her to file. I filed contested divorce because she wont leave their property and one of the three structures they have on that property.
The legal definitions of spousal abuse are never the same as those definitions used in other disciplines. In Texas, the legal term is "domestic violence." You can find the definitions at:

Tex. Penal Code § 1.07(a)(8)
Tex. Fam. Code § 71.004
Tex. Fam. Code § 71.0021

The definition essentially includes:

any act committed between family or households members (including children) that is:
  • intended to result in physical harm, bodily injury (physical pain, illness, or damage to your physical condition)*, assault or sexual assault; OR
  • a threat that reasonably places the member in fear of immediate physical harm, bodily injury (physical pain, illness, or damage to your physical condition)* assault or sexual assault.
Do you have any follow up questions?