How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i want to let my kids dad see them but im scared he wont give

Customer Question

i want to let my kids dad see them but im scared he wont give them back how do i resolve this fast_
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.

I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you. However I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you, or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open forum. Do you accept these provisions as well as's disclaimer?

Please respond with a Yes or No to continue. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.



Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
Is there a court order of custody/visitation in place?

Were you married to the father when the children were born?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no never married but he ison birth cert


Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
I see.

You may wish to refuse visitation until one of your files a petition to establish parental rights and obtains a court order of custody/visitation if you have reason to believe he will not return the children to you.

This is the case because the police are not likely to force him to return the children to you unless you can present them with a court order. Unfortunately, this is the only way to quickly force him to return the children normally.

If he refuses to return the children and you do not have a court order, it could take weeks to obtain one and force the return of your children.

Best regards,



Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated. Thank you and the best of luck.

Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
Another option is to contact the police first and see whether they would aid you in getting the children back if you let them go.

Thank you and take care.

Edited by Tina on 10/2/2010 at 12:05 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

so i casnt fille on my own im not made of money or time


Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
You can try filing on your own. If you choose to do that, it is best to look for an experienced paralegal to assist you so the petition does not get dismissed on a technicality.

Please remember: even if you have a subscription with, I only get credited for my work by when you press the ACCEPT button. A Bonus is always appreciated. Thanks again.