Lawyer Lori
Lawyer Lori, Lawyer
Experience:  Divorce, custody and child support attorney.
15826124

When my son was born I wanted him to have my maiden name so

When my son was born I wanted him to have my maiden name so I hyphenated it.....my maiden name and his dad's last name. It has caused issues in school because they drop his dad's name and only use my maiden name. We are married, there would be no contesting.....just want to drop the hyphen so my son has my maiden name as one of his middle names.....do we have to run it in a paper or can we have my husband and I sign something to alleviate that step since there would be nobody to contest it. We are both on his birth cert.
Submitted: 6 years ago via mylawyer.com.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lawyer Lori replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Lawyer Lori :

Unfortunately, the clerk is correct and there exists only a narrow exception for not running it in the paper.

Lawyer Lori :

The exceptions are basically to protect someone who is a victim of domestic violence and other crimes.

Lawyer Lori :

The reasoning behind this requirement is to put anyone on notice of the change of name. In this case, you are legally changing your son's last name from hyphenated to just his dad's name. The technical reason is that if your son has entered into a contract with anyone, has any involvement with the police or is trying to hide from his debts (seems funny for a child) there has to be a way to notify any interested parties. I'm afraid you will have to publish it . While this may not be what you were hoping to hear, it does represent the law.