Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

I am getting divorced and already filed it is almost final..just

I am getting divorced and already filed it is almost final..just found out I was pregnant but not from my soon to be husband..Is this something to hold up my divorce?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

That depends. If you do not wish to disclose the pregnancy, and you won't place the current husband as the father, it will not hold up the divorce as the child is not part of the marital estate. On the other hand if you wish to place the soon to be ex-husband as the father, claim benefits, and pursue him for child support and maintenance, then it would hold up the divorce since you would also possibly have to consider filing for a custodial decree and for pre-natal support.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 10/1/2010 at 4:07 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I sent this question but was suppose to say soon to be ex husband..the baby is not my soon to be ex husbands..

Thank you for your patience.

I understood what you meant and answered accordingly. As I stated, this should not hold up your divorce unless you claim that the child IS your ex-husband's, and you attempt to pursue him for pre-natal child support and other obligations.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 10/1/2010 at 4:36 PM EST