Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My sisters husband moved out and took their two boys from

Customer Question

My sister's husband moved out and took their two boys from their home and school. They were separated but she allowed him to live at the house (he is homeless but now at his mother's) He is a convicted felon with no job for over 5 years (no stable work history before then) She has stability in a home and work (5 years - same company, 3 years prior to that) She wants her children back in their home and school ASAP. What does she do? She lives in Skagit County, Wa. He took the kids to Whatcom County, Wa
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
She will need to go to court to file the petition for divorce (if one has not been filed) and a motion for temporary custody, which in this case she can likely get heard on an emergency basis since the children were taken from school and have not been returned to school. The court would issue the emergency order and then she could go to the house with the police and they would enforce the order if he will not surrender the children. She would also then notify the school with a copy of the order so they will prevent him from being on the property. Having an attorney for this would make it much easier for her, but most attorneys are going to want at least $2500-$5000 to start. If she cannot afford an attorney she can go to legal aid and also call the state bar and ask them for the pro bono attorneys in the area to assist her.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

We need an attorney! Please suggest

Unfortunately, terms of this service strictly prohibit us from making personal referrals so the best we can suggest to find a local family law attorney are the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.martindale.com or http://www.findlaw.com. It is going to take some time calling around but express to them the urgent nature of the problem with the children not being allowed to go to school and most times that will help you getting someone to help faster.