JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

What type of training and credential do marital Mediators have.

What type of training and credential do marital Mediators have. Do they use State or federal guidelines to determine a percentage of child support and alimony needed, based on gross or net pay and expenses/income of both parties? How is child visitation determined and can a parent with custody of kids move to another state without the consent of the other parent? Is alimony paid based on marital years, if so for how long does alimony continue? thank you, XXXXX XXXXX for your advice. Carol Vittoria
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 4 years ago.
Marital mediators take a basic 40 hour mediators class and then an additional class in family law mediation that is also about 40 hours. State guidelines are used to determine child support and spousal support. The rules vary state to state some states take into account both parties' income, some don't. There is a standard child visitation schedule set out in the Family Code of each state but this can vary based on circumstances. Parents can change states without the consent of the other party unless the court order says something different. However, changing states is grounds for an immediate review of the custody and visitation arrangement. Alimony rules varies from state to state but how long they have been married is a consideration. It can continue for a variety of times depending on the state and facts.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience: Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are you familiar with the State laws in Vermont? Especially child-support and alimony payments?
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 4 years ago.
Just in general, but there are only minor differences between states. Is there a specific question I could help you with?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
percentage of salary taken for child support. Based on gross or net income. How long does alimony last for a five year marriage, with the wife working approximately three our of five years. Thanks.
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 4 years ago.
In Vermont, on alimony there is no set time that it lasts. The factors the court will consider are at http://www.helpyourselfdivorce.com/vermont-alimony-laws.html.

On child support the amount is figured on net, but it is net as that term is defined in the family code. There is a child support calculator that allows you to enter figures and will give you a very, very close idea of what child support will be at http://divorcehq.com/calculators/vt_supportcalc.shtml.

The child support calculator wants you to enter gross and it already has the formula for determining net.

JD 1992, Lawyer