Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Hello, An emergency order of protection (civil) was filed

An emergency order of protection (civil) was filed against me in Illinois by my spouse that is divorcing me. The allegations made in the petition are false especially considering I do not know where she lives or do I even know her phone number. I understand that I have to go to a hearing for this and I welcome it. I am defending my self for the dissolution of marriage proceeding and at the moment there is a relief hearing due to a motion filed by me set for one day after the hearing for the order of protection.

I fear for my safety now more than before due to this order of protection. I have received threats via telephone at work, my spouse has struck me with her fist in the head in the past and my car has been vandalized on more than one occasion since this legal process has occurred.

Considering that my "spouse" has made false allegations to authorities in order to get an emergency order of protection whether for an advantage in court and or to cause me added emotional distress worries me deeply. She moved out of the home by her choice months ago but due to my feelings of being vulnerable there I do not stay at home on a regular basis and tend to stay anywhere but there most days of the week considering past threats received.

Since the aggressor has assumed the role of victim and therefore has been able to use the I.D.V.A for an intent it was not designed for I feel it is very likely that I may fall victim to her aggression and have no recourse. I fear I will be treated by the police and the court as the perpetrator.

Is there anyway I can have the judge here this O.P matter sooner via an emergency motion or regular motion call?

What rights if any do I have in this matter?

Can I file a counter petition for a protective order for feeling that my safety is in question and she may possibly use the O.P against me to cause me harm considering her and her friends past behavior towards me?

I have not called the police in the past due to possible repercussions by either her or her friends.

I thank you in advance.
As far as getting the order heard faster, if you can present evidence of these attacks on you, then it is possible to get the court to set the hearing sooner upon motion to the court for an emergency hearing when you file your objection to her protective order and a counter claim for a protective order against her. For certain, based on your accounting above you have grounds for seeking a protection order from her at the very least and if you present that evidence to the court along with the fact you do not know where she lives and do not have her number, the court should issue an order against her and in all likelihood will make the order a mutual order of protection, which would prohibit both of you from having contact. These cases are always so tough on the court unless they have actual evidence presented to them more than the word of each party.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.