How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 109921
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, An emergency order of protection (civil) was filed

This answer was rated:

An emergency order of protection (civil) was filed against me in Illinois by my spouse that is divorcing me. The allegations made in the petition are false especially considering I do not know where she lives or do I even know her phone number. I understand that I have to go to a hearing for this and I welcome it. I am defending my self for the dissolution of marriage proceeding and at the moment there is a relief hearing due to a motion filed by me set for one day after the hearing for the order of protection.

I fear for my safety now more than before due to this order of protection. I have received threats via telephone at work, my spouse has struck me with her fist in the head in the past and my car has been vandalized on more than one occasion since this legal process has occurred.

Considering that my "spouse" has made false allegations to authorities in order to get an emergency order of protection whether for an advantage in court and or to cause me added emotional distress worries me deeply. She moved out of the home by her choice months ago but due to my feelings of being vulnerable there I do not stay at home on a regular basis and tend to stay anywhere but there most days of the week considering past threats received.

Since the aggressor has assumed the role of victim and therefore has been able to use the I.D.V.A for an intent it was not designed for I feel it is very likely that I may fall victim to her aggression and have no recourse. I fear I will be treated by the police and the court as the perpetrator.

Is there anyway I can have the judge here this O.P matter sooner via an emergency motion or regular motion call?

What rights if any do I have in this matter?

Can I file a counter petition for a protective order for feeling that my safety is in question and she may possibly use the O.P against me to cause me harm considering her and her friends past behavior towards me?

I have not called the police in the past due to possible repercussions by either her or her friends.

I thank you in advance.
As far as getting the order heard faster, if you can present evidence of these attacks on you, then it is possible to get the court to set the hearing sooner upon motion to the court for an emergency hearing when you file your objection to her protective order and a counter claim for a protective order against her. For certain, based on your accounting above you have grounds for seeking a protection order from her at the very least and if you present that evidence to the court along with the fact you do not know where she lives and do not have her number, the court should issue an order against her and in all likelihood will make the order a mutual order of protection, which would prohibit both of you from having contact. These cases are always so tough on the court unless they have actual evidence presented to them more than the word of each party.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.


You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO and request me.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 109921
Experience: Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions