Lawyer Lori
Lawyer Lori, Lawyer
Experience:  Divorce, custody and child support attorney.
15826124

My friend has a one year old son who lives with his mother

Customer Question

My friend has a one year old son who lives with his mother and grandmother. The baby has shown up at his house with bruises that looked like finger prints and now the baby has a greenstick fracture in his arm. They said he fell off a box approximately two feet high.The grandmother has told three different stories about how it happened. In the past, she had been awarded custody of some nieces and nephews but lost custody due to child abuse. Iknow babies arms bones are pliable and it is difficult to break a bone. Should we be suspicous? WWhat steps need to be taken?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lawyer Lori replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Lawyer Lori :

Two things your friend can do. 1. He can fight for custody on this issue, by filing a custody motion with the court. This is assuming that he is named on the birth certificate or has been declared the father through the court. This can be a long process. 2. The other option, and this is a major decision to be made, the state's Child Protective Services can be called and the suspected abuse reported. They will most likely remove the child from the home. They will typically look for a family member, primarily the other parent to keep the child until the allegations are investigated.

Lawyer Lori :

Generally, I do not advocated getting social services involved, but sometimes it is the best option. Your friend needs to look out for his son's best interests.

Lawyer Lori :

I hope this helps. Please accept my answer and then we can continue this conversation with any followup questions you may have.