Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Our oldest daughter adopted her younger sisters son when he

Our oldest daughter adopted her younger sisters son when he was a baby since then she has moved him frome one home to another. He was adopted by her second husband and he currently resides with her 3rd husband. We have always remained close to them and we know our daughter needs psycologocil help but she is not willing to get it. Anyway our grandson is now 13 and does not want to make another move and go to another school in another state. Do we have any grounds to help our grandson either stay where he is or come to live with us. They have lived with us off and on over the last 13 years?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately, as his mother she has the sole say regarding his custody and living arrangements and if she does not agree to him staying with you and granting you guardianship, it is unlikely the courts will either unless you can prove she is an unfit parent and unable to care for the needs of the child. Under the grandparent's rights laws, while grandparents have the right to seek visitation and even guardianship/custody when the parents are not married, when it is their own child who is the parent denying visitation or custody the courts will not override that parental right. Thus, unless you are able to convince her to sign over temporary guardianship for the child to go to school, you are not likely going to be successful in court without proving her to be unfit and that court process takes quite some length of time.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.