SC Law Attorney
SC Law Attorney, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have been practicing primarily in the field of Family Law for approximately 17 years
20405397

In Wisconsin, if someone is behind on child support payments

In Wisconsin, if someone is behind on child support payments and if the mother would agree to negotiate any back support that is owed, can the debt be forgiven or does the state ultimately try to collect it in some way? If the law allows this, what steps need to be taken? Thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  SC Law Attorney replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
SC Law Attorney :

The above is a program that helps people who are behind in support. Usually, if a payee is agreeable to forego arrears, the state will alllow same, but will not always forego the amount due the state for "welfare" provided by the state

Customer :

How would I find out if/how much would go to the state? I know the mother did receive some state benefits for healthcare when the child was young, but probably not for several years.

SC Law Attorney :

You would have to contact the state agency that provides the benefits to determine how much if any they would claim

SC Law Attorney :

If she wasn't receiving state support, she should be able to drop everything

SC Law Attorney :

the state would have a record