Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

at what age can your children decide whether or not they want

at what age can your children decide whether or not they want to visit their father
Thank you for your question. I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you.

I am a Florida lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information on this open and nonconfidential forum.

A court order for visitation must be followed until the child reaches the age of 18. That said you may file for modification based upon a change in the preference of the child.

A court will typically weigh the opinion of the child when the child is able to clearly and maturely articulate his reasons for requesting a change usually about age 10.

Age is not the only factor that is considered by the court. Typically, the court will take into consideration the maturity of the child and the child's reasons for requesting the change.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.