Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I received a letter from the State of North Carolina child

I received a letter from the State of North Carolina child support enforcement office, asking for my income information for a child I have never been ordered to take a paternity test for. I am in Texas, the child's mother signed her over to a friend of hers, and is also in Texas. What should I do? Can That state have any jurisdiction over me or my finances? Especially w/o a paternity suit or order?
Submitted: 6 years ago via ChildSupportLaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.
If you deny that you're the father, you can refuse to provide any information and demand that paternity be established before you agree to pay anything.

The mother or legal guardian of the child would have to sue for a paternity test. If this happens, you will have to submit to the testing, and if it proves you're the father, you would then be liable for child support.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What I am trying to establish is; Can another state, of which I am not a citizen, never have been, (NC) automatically start demanding that my employer in Texas, provide any info to them, when there has been no paternity request?
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.
Sure, they can demand it, but your employer has no obligation to provide anything unless it receives a court order to do so.