Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

I went through a divorce about 3 years ago and in the agreement

I went through a divorce about 3 years ago and in the agreement I was told to pay my daughters college tution with savings bonds I had saved. Now my exhusband calls and says fees are due again, so I ask what is the amount for hole year, he will not tell me an amount. He had his lawyer send me a threating letter saying I`m refusing to pay and if I did not respond that he would have contempt papers filed on me. What can I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

He cannot reasonably expect you to pay if he won't tell you what the amount is. Send a letter to his letter explaining that you are more than happy to pay the amount owed, if they would be so kind as to provide you with a bill showing the amount. Go through the conversations the two of you have had, and make sure it is very clear that you are not refusing to pay, you just need the information for your records.

Send the letter via certified mail, return receipt requested. That way, if there is any question, you'll be able to prove that you sent the message and that he got it.