Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

what is the legal age in mississippi a child can move out of

what is the legal age in mississippi a child can move out of the home without the parents approval
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.

Hi

In Mississippi the legal age of majority is 21. That means, parental permission must be granted or the person needs to be legally emancipated. That can occur if the person marries, joins the military or is granted emancipation via the courts because they are able to show they can take care of themselves financially.

If you have further questions, you can post them here and I will continue to assist. Otherwise, please remember to accept as that is how I get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
at what age can a girl get married without parent permission
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.

Hi

Parental consent is needed in Mississippi if under 21 years of age. If parents or guardians do not give consent at time of application, they will be notified via certified mail. The marriage application will be held for three (3) days.

However, if there is a pregnancy involved, the minor may Petition the Court for a waiver of Parental Consent if she is above age 15. If this is the case, then the form to Petition can be obtained by the court in the county where the minors reside.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the police told me she was 18 she could come and go as she pleaced and their was nothing I could do about it.thay made me let her leave.Is thare anything i can do

Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.

Hi

Well, is there a reason you want her to stay? You can contact the District Attorney and explain why you feel she should stay with you. It is hard to control someone over the age of 18. Mississippi law is a bit outdated in that it requires age 21 to leave the nest. But if you have good reason, you should discuss it with the DA and see what your options are as the law requires you to be responsible for the child until age 21, unless you file to have her emancipated which means you will no longer be legally responsible for her actions and deeds.