RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .

My step sons mom lost her job a couple months ago for attendance.

My step son's mom lost her job a couple months ago for attendance. My step son knows something is wrong and it's show through is actions at school. He is constantly getting in trouble and in one instance sent to the principle's office. He told this dad that he is eating ramen noodles every night for dinner. She recently called my in laws and asked for money to pay her rent. We want to get custody of our son but we're afraid that if we try they will just increase our support. Do we have options.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.You would need to file to modify legal custody.To me this is a great time here to do so.Chances are she can't afford a lawyer and you can make great arguments if he is having school problems.

This is near and dear to a judge to hear that child is not progressing and that other parent is better able to provide for the child a better setting and environment.Its true that the court might grant an increase but I think you have much better chances to get custody and support paid to you.Timing wise this is probably a good chance to seek to change all of this.The child here may also want to live with you and thats a factor here as well.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would like to know your area of expertise. I didn't see you profile and I thought my question was going to someone else. This is a very serious matter and I want to be assured that you are qualified to give me "advise". We don't want to end up spending thousands of dollars to end up paying more support. I've done a lot of investigating on this subject and from what I've read, if the child isn't being abused and the custodial parent isn't doing drugs, they will not give custody to the other parent.
I am a Texas lawyer.I have done family law for 26 years.I disagree that you don't have a good chance here.If the child has regressed as a student this can be real critical.I am wondering if you guys shouldn't file a complaint here with protective services.There are certainly issues with neglect and supervision here.They might intervene and place them with you.