LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

Connecticut divorce question...many thanks for help in advance...

Connecticut divorce question...many thanks for help in advance... if I have booked a pro se appearance to modify previous divorce judgement that was scheduled for September 7th is there any way I can prevent my ex from continuing the case to September 20th. I heard from clerk of court today that judge had agreed to do this but this means two more weeks of payements that I thought would be overturned
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

I'm afraid that continuances are the norm with both motions and trials. As regards XXXXX XXXXX continuance of a motion, there is virtually no way to prevent it.

You will have the ability to ask that all payments made after the date of your petition be returned to you if the court rules in your favor. Be sure to ask for this at the hearing---or better yet, file a supplemental pleading and ask for this refund in addition to the termination of payments.

I wish you the best in 2010.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. Please, remember that I only receive credit for helping you when you Accept my answers. Until then your payment is simply held on deposit. So, please click the ACCEPT icon. Thanks again.