Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, child support, etc.
11297241

Have been divorced 3 years I paid the money I owed in 90 days

Have been divorced 3 years I paid the money I owed in 90 days and alimony for two years on time every month my father took personal belongings but ex never came and got the rest of the things she was awarded in deviorce. How long does my ex have to come and get it?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

If the time in which a spouse has to retrieve her personal belongings is not specified in the decree, the court generally presumes she has a reasonable amount of time to do so. A person who has custody of these belongings may choose to send a letter, certified mail, instructing the other person to collect her items within a certain period of time (generally 30 days), and if she fails to do so, the items will be sold or removed.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.