How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36372
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im divorced 30 years, ex-husband is retired Col. Air Force.

Resolved Question:

I'm divorced 30 years, ex-husband is retired Col. Air Force. We have two adult girls who are suffering todays economic problems and personal . Oldest daughters husband ran up bills,lien against home and walked out. Home was lost and daughter lost everything,house, cars, belongings. My current husband and I had sold our home, purchased a 5th wheel to travel instead came to Calif. to assist daughter and grandsons, ages 17 and 9, attorney fees, financial assistance and support for them has cost us our savings and we now live month to month.

My ex and I divorced in Maine although California residents, agreement was to divide all and $150.00 a month child support would increase with his pay. Enlisted to Leuitenant by divorce. I moved back home to Calif. with my girls, got a job Barclays Bank, Malibu, Calif. 1987 I retired from injuries caused at work, living on retirement and SSI, current husband retired L.A. Sheriffs County.

A court battle to prove my ex sold a house out from under me, division of property was not complete ad child support didnt increase with his pay is too expensive at this point but the question as to his responsibility to help the girls with medical, dental and the house he sold was supposrd to go to the girls.

Todays R.E. market has homes so cheap he could pay cash. My and current husbands debt ratio too high to obtain help for girls and our, some $60,000.00 in assistance left us savingsless. Isthere any legal recourse to force ex into helping girls with a home or rental and medical dental?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

You could have petitioned the court for an upward modification of child support when your children were younger and you still received support for them. However, you can not go back and do it at this juncture.

Your daughter is a grown woman now and there is no legal method to force your ex to provide support of any kind for his adult daughter--I'm sorry.

I wish you and your family the best in your futures.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so. I do work diligently to provide you with the correct Answer under the law, and because I have no control over what the law is, I ask you not to hold that against me.

It has been my pleasure to assist you, and it would be greatly appreciated if you would click the
green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having answered your Question. Thank you in advance. Best regards,


LawTalk and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions