Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
4460311

I am trying to finalize my divorce and I am in NJ and she is

I am trying to finalize my divorce and I am in NJ and she is in FL and she does not answer my calls to tell me where to send the paperwork. Can I file for Divorce in NJ even if she does not respond back to singing the paperwork?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.

I would be happy to answer your question. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by Justanswer.com and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you, or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open forum. Do you accept these terms? Please answer yes or no to continue.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, that is fine
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.

Yes. As long as you have grounds to file a petition for dissolution based on NJ law, there is typically nothing preventing you from filing and obtaining a divorce, even if your spouse refuses to come to an agreement.

Generally, you will have her personally served with a petition and request that the court decide the issues on which you cannot agree.

Best regards,

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Justanswer.com. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated. Thank you and the best of luck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So just for clarification she does not have to sing the divorce papers so for me to have the divorce finalized
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Correct. Normally, if a court decides the issues, then she does not have to sign anything unless ordered by the court to do so.

Good luck and take care.

Please remember: even if you have a subscription with Justanswer.com, I only get credited for my work by Justanswer.com when you press the ACCEPT button. A Bonus is always appreciated. Thanks again.

Tina, Lawyer
Experience: JD, 17 years legal experience including family law