How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33166
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to finalize my divorce and I am in NJ and she is

Resolved Question:

I am trying to finalize my divorce and I am in NJ and she is in FL and she does not answer my calls to tell me where to send the paperwork. Can I file for Divorce in NJ even if she does not respond back to singing the paperwork?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.

I would be happy to answer your question. While I am permitted to provide you with legal information, I am prohibited by and various state bar associations from giving legal advice, representing you, or entering into an attorney-client relationship through this open forum. Do you accept these terms? Please answer yes or no to continue.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, that is fine
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
Thank you.

Yes. As long as you have grounds to file a petition for dissolution based on NJ law, there is typically nothing preventing you from filing and obtaining a divorce, even if your spouse refuses to come to an agreement.

Generally, you will have her personally served with a petition and request that the court decide the issues on which you cannot agree.

Best regards,



Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated. Thank you and the best of luck.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So just for clarification she does not have to sing the divorce papers so for me to have the divorce finalized
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
Correct. Normally, if a court decides the issues, then she does not have to sign anything unless ordered by the court to do so.

Good luck and take care.

Please remember: even if you have a subscription with, I only get credited for my work by when you press the ACCEPT button. A Bonus is always appreciated. Thanks again.

Tina and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions