Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, child support, etc.

Is there an age when children can decide if they want to have

Is there an age when children can decide if they want to have visitation with their mother? Right now she has every other weekend visitation.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

The age of majority is 18 in Ohio. That is the age that children are free to decide for themselves whether they want to have visitation with a parent. Before then, the child is governed by the court orders regarding custody.

If a parent brings court proceedings to have visitation stopped, the court can consider the child's wishes. If the child has sufficient reasoning ability, the court will take into account the child's wishes and interview the child in the judge's chambers regarding the matter. (Ohio Statutes 3109.04). There is no particular age at which the court considers a child to have sufficient reasoning ability. That is determined on a case by case basis.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.