Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience

I am currently married but seperated not by court. How can

I am currently married but seperated not by court. How can I visit my children? If the mother denies me to see them. She filed a petition of divorce but I did not sign it because it said sole custody of the children belongs to her. I am in the state of Georgia.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 years ago.

If there is no formal separation agreement in place and no order from the court then there is nothing stopping you from visiting your children. The default in GA is that both parents have joint custody until a judge says otherwise through entering an order.

However, the fact that you did not sign the divorce petition will not stop her from proceeding with the divorce. If you do not respond and formally oppose her petition, she will eventually get a default divorce and will get everything she has asked for in her petition.

So you have to respond and oppose it or she will get what she asked for by default.

If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" BUTTON NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional, and are greatly appreciated. If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.