Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

In Minnesota divorce court Does the courts send out the subpeonas

In Minnesota divorce court: Does the courts send out the subpeona's or do we? Do the witnesses send us a bill or how do we know how much to pay them and when do we pay them? For the trial, do we need to send the courts and the opposing side all the exhibits or just a list of the exhibits we intend to use? On the scheduling order it say we need:
a. List of witnesses
b. Exhibit lists

Does this mean the actual documents or just a list?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 3 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Which witnesses are being paid and for what?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We are going to trial for my divorce court. I want to have an appraiser come in so I will subpeona them. This part of my question was actually pertaining to my earlier question this morning but I accidently hit accept and then tried to reply and did not get an answer so I submitted a new question.

For the trial, do we need to send the courts and the opposing side all the exhibits or just a list of the exhibits we intend to use? On the scheduling order it say we need: a. List of witnesses b. Exhibit lists Does this mean the actual documents or just a list? I am representing myself.

Dear Customer - I will try to answer based on the information I have but if I am missing something please let me know. If you are calling an appraiser as your own expert witness then there is no need to subpoena your own expert. You would be responsible for directly paying your own expert. If this appraiser is someone who has submitted something in the case that is opposite of what you feel to be the value then you would have to ask the court to issue a subpoena.

As for the list of witnesses and exhibits, if there is an order from the court or a request from the opposing counsel to provide this information then you need to send it to the opposing counsel, not the court. The court will receive the exhibits at the time of the trial and would have no interest in seeing them ahead of time. The exhibits should be copied and sent along with a list of names, addresses and telephone numbers of your proposed witnesses.

If you have something further please let me know.

Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience: 25 years experience as practicing attorney