LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

My son who is 18 just left for College, he his stay on campus,

My son who is 18 just left for College, he his stay on campus, i still pay child surrport, do i still give the check to his mom or dose he get the check.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Under the laws of the State of New York, even after a child goes off to college, any child support that is owing pursuant to a court order must still be paid to the custodial parent and that support is for use by them in any way they see fit. There is no obligation on the part of the recipient of the child support to give any of the support to the child at school, and the court will not order that such occur, I'm afraid.

In the situation you have described, you are still obligated to pay the support directly to your son's mother.

I wish you the best in 2010.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. Please, remember that I only receive credit for helping you when you Accept my answers. Until then your payment is simply held on deposit. So, please click the ACCEPT icon. Thanks again.