How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question

Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102118
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do you offer free consults We live here at Fort Hood,Tx and

Resolved Question:

Do you offer free consults? We live here at Fort Hood,Tx and I am military, and the child lives in Ga, with grandparents and is going to school in the town the grandparents live, not with mother. The child was coming to live here, moved everything and decided on the first day of school he didn't want to go there and wanted to go back home. So we moved him back to his grandparents.... this happened all in a matter of 2 months. Ga stopped child support,( not having anything to do with the move,) to the child stating we were "paid up" until he turned 18, he is now 16. We are unsure how this could be and how we could have paid ahead. Ga. CS offers no real explanation and now mother is threatening to take us to court and reopen the case for more support. We have documents from the state of Ga. on hand stating we are finished paying and are in compliance. We have offered to help with school clothes and anything the 16 yo son needs. She is not willing to take this. She wants at least 600 a month and we were only paying her 250. What are our rights and how much do you charge? Thank you
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
We cannot represent anyone from this website it is against the site rules. The charge is that you pay when you have received satisfactory answers the amount you agreed upon (in your case you made a $38 deposit and that would be the charge when you click accept on an answer).

Now, to get to your main question. Child support in GA must be paid in accordance with the GA child support guidelines set forth in the laws. The GA law uses the "income shares model" to determine the amount of support that should be paid. This means they take the non-custodial parent's income and the other parent's income and add them together to determine the monthly support amount and then they calculate the percentage your income is of the total income for the month and that percentage is the percentage of the total child support you must pay. Here is a calculator from the child support office to determine what you should be paying:

GA child support does not just terminate at 16, so it appears the child support office either made a mistake or they were just done collecting the support and leaving it now between the parents to arrange for payments. Under GA law, child support does not terminate until 18 or the child graduates high school (whichever is later and no later than 20). Additionally, the GA courts can order support to continue for a child in college up to 20 years old. So your support obligation has not ended and you should figure out your obligation using the above calculator and then negotiate something fair with the mother based on that amount and whatever you agree upon DO IT IN WRITING so you have proof and later on she cannot come back and accuse you of non-payment.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.


You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO and request me.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry. The boy is 18 and still in highschool. Senior year We received the letter stating we r paid up.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
While you may be paid up to date, the order of support continues until graduation from high school unless it specifies otherwise. If you want to stop the payments then you need to file a motion to terminate support which would not be ordered until he graduates high school under GA law.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102118
Experience: Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: