Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

I was told I could press charges against a former friend in

I was told I could press charges against a former friend in Florida, (I live in hawaii) in regard cyber stalking (harassment via text messages and phone calls). I told her to stop several times by phone and text. What would the legal processes/procedures be to if she persists?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Samuel-II :

Hi

JACUSTOMER-e2yr1ym2- :

hello

Samuel-II :

You must give her written notice. Verbal and a text will not be sufficient. So you need to consider writing her a letter explaining that you do not want any further contact and demand that she cease and desist all contact

Samuel-II :

and that if she does not

Samuel-II :

you are prepared to file the harassment charges.

Samuel-II :

The letter must be mailed certified with a return receipt requested

Samuel-II :

Then if she continues to contact you in any way, shape or form, you can file a police report in your county

Samuel-II :

and they will be able to proceed with getting her served in Florida.

Samuel-II :

But you must give her the written notice; otherwise, she can say she did not understand she was annoying or harassing you

Samuel-II :

She can say she never got a text message in that regard.

Samuel-II :

So, you should consider the letter, then a police report and request a restrainging order be issued.

JACUSTOMER-e2yr1ym2- :

So, I can go to my police station here in hawaii, and they will forward the charges to florida?

Samuel-II :

When you file the complaint, the police may contact her and give her a warning not to contact you. But you need to show them your letter of cease and desist and the receipt from the post office where she has received it.

JACUSTOMER-e2yr1ym2- :

ok, tks for the help

Samuel-II :

Then after they give her a warning and she continues, they will file charges, issue a summons and a restraining order, if you request it and can show that she is a threat to your wellbeing. They will then tell you how to proceed with getting her served

Samuel-II :

You're welcome

Samuel-II :

If you have further information, you can post it here. Otherwise, please remember to accept as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter

JACUSTOMER-e2yr1ym2- :

ok