ANDREA,
ANDREA,, Lawyer
Experience:  25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law

if i have never been served paternity papers and the child

Customer Question

if i have never been served paternity papers and the child is 18 can i still be taken to court for child support in the state of ohio?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 3 years ago.

Hi, and Welcome to JustAnswer

Thank you for question,

The Answer I am providing is information only and does not constitute the practice of law in jurisdictions where I am not licensed to practice. JustAnswer's policy and State Bar restrictions prohibit any attorney-client relationship, giving legal advice and client representation though this forum.

ANSWER

If you denied paternity of the child, and the mother never filed a Petition to Establish Paternity, she would not be able to file a Complaint for Child Support.

If paternity would be established tomorrow, and the child is now 18 years old, it would be too late for the mother to file a Complaint for Child Support.

________________________________________________

Please press "ACCEPT" so that I may receive credit for assisting you

BONUS is always appreciated

That is the only way I get paid

_________________________________________________

Kindest Regards,

ANDREA, JD, LLM

MEMBER, NY & PA BAR

Don't forget to leave positive feedback!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so no matter what she does since there was no paternity test establishing anything before the child turned 18, she cant file for support at all now that the child is 18 in the state of ohio
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 3 years ago.

That is correct.

Complaints for Child Support are not retroactive to the time the child was born.

BONUS is always appreciated

That is the only way I get paid

Kindest Regards,

ANDREA, JD, LLM

MEMBER, NY & PA BAR

Edited by ANDREA, on 9/1/2010 at 3:29 AM EST
ANDREA,, Lawyer
Experience: 25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for accepting my Answer , your kind words in Feedback, and the Bonus you gave me, I greatly appreciate it

If you need further assistance, please feel free to ask for me by typing my name at the beginning of your question, like so: "Andrea, I have a question about..."

and your question will be directed to me.

Stay well and Kindest Regards,

ANDREA, JD, LLM

MEMBER, NY & PA BAR