SC Law Attorney
SC Law Attorney, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have been practicing primarily in the field of Family Law for approximately 17 years

My ex-boyfriend wants rights to our 3 month old daughter.

Customer Question

My ex-boyfriend wants rights to our 3 month old daughter. He wanted her aborted pretty much my entire pregnancy. I have some concerns with his parenting skills and the fact that he wants to use a crib that his grandfather built 40+ years ago. When we go to court is there a legal way I can request that he not be able to use that for her. It just isn't safe.... He also wants overnights. He has barely seen her and I am breastfeeding so I don't think overnights are appropriate until she is older than 1 year of age. Do I have to worry that a judge will grant him overnights??
Category: Family Law
Expert:  SC Law Attorney replied 6 years ago.
Hi, I'm the expert who is going to answer your questions. I'm sorry that you and your ex-boyfriend did not work out and are having issues this early on with your 3 month old. Inasmuch as he is the father, he will be granted "parental rights" to the child, visitation included. If you can prove that the crib is dangerous for the child to sleep in, a court could issue a restraining order against him using it for her. As far as overnights, some Judges will grant overnights, some won't. Some Judges will institute overnights when the child has gotten a little older, such as 18 months or 24 months. Generally, parents are free to visit with their children at all times that are mutually agreed to by both parents. However, when parents cannot agree, the standard visitation schedule accepted most everywhere in the nation is: every other weekend, 4-6 weeks in the summer, and alternating holidays. Some Judges may give you some latitude with the breast-feeding, while others recognize the existence of breast-pumps. BotXXXXX XXXXXne, it depends on who your Judge is.