Joseph
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
18539850

If a son would want his Mother to help baby sit their daughter

Customer Question

If a son would want his Mother to help baby sit their daughter who is an infant but the daughter in-law does not want the Mother in-law to watch the child does the grandmother in this case have any rights if the child's Mother does not want her husband's Mother to baby-sit?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.

To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:

• 1. Are the parents still married and residing together?
  • 2. Why is the daughter-in-law so opposed to your involvement?

Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

I am going off-line for the evening. Please feel free to respond, if necessary, and know that I will be back on-line tomorrow.

Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes they are still married. She is afraid for me to watch their child due to me being a controlled diabetic. I have no other problems other than the diabetes and no problems other than taking my shots everyday. Yes I use to have reactions but I do not have any now. I have taken care of my other three grandsons since age 6 weeks old and none of them ever got hurt on my watch. I still keep one grandson now about three days a week but yes he is older now and a diabetic himself. I kept my oldest grandson almost everyday until he graduated from High School.The daughter in-law is just a B---- and her family has money and babies her so she gets her way a lot. I believe my son just does not want to go against what she says but I would rather not say that on the internet or why for fear of someone seeing this. If they would both say no to me watching her would I have any rights to watch her.
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

So long as the parents are married, your son (the biological father) has every right to have whomever he deems appropriate babysit the child. If your son decides to bring his daughter to you to babysit, he may absolutely do that.

At the same time, the mother can certainly be opposed to you providing any babysitting for the child. At that point, it is really an issue between the husband and wife. While, legally, she doesn't have to agree, I think we both know that your son may have a hard time "standing his ground" and bringing the child to you.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please delete anything that has been written between us. Thanks
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

I do not have the ability to "delete" anything. For such a request, you would need to contact customer service.

As to our conversation, was there anything further that you needed? If so, please let me know and I will be glad to continue to assist you.

If I have answered all of your questions, I would kindly ask that you click the "accept" as I am not compensated for my efforts unless/until you do so.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your patience.