legaleagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years

I have been served papers for Petition for Legal Separation.

I have been served papers for "Petition for Legal Separation." What am I required to do? If I accept her division of property do I have to do anything? When would the items she is claiming need to be transferred to her?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 6 years ago.
You can answer that you agree but you do not have to answer if you agree. The items would need to be transfered as soon as you have an order granting the petition for separation.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If I don't respond can anything she change anything?
If you do not respond and she goes to get the order, it may be possible that she asks the court to modify the petition and then you do not know about it until you get a copy of the order. It would be best to at least appear for the hearing date or send an answer that you agree to the petition and would not agree to any further changes and if any changes are requested she must give you a new notice.