Joseph
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
18539850

In Florida, is there some sort of guide line that is used to

In Florida, is there some sort of guide line that is used to determine property allocation?

I'm a Florida family law attorney and I believe I can provide some assistance here.

There is no "guideline" per se. Rather, we have statutory language that defines what is considered marital property and what is considered non-marital property. For example, marital property is generally anything that was accumulated during the marriage, with some exceptions. Similarly, non-marital property is anything that was owned by either party prior to the marriage.

Anything that is marital in nature would be subject to equitable distribution, meaning an equal division between the parties. If the property is non-marital, then it would remain with the party that had ownership prior to the marriage.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just start your question with "FOR JOSEPH" and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.