Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

My wife and I are separated. The car she drives is titled

My wife and I are separated. The car she drives is titled in my name only and I have two years left on the loan. Can I transfer the title to her? I understand that I will still be responsible for the loan to the bank, but would like the car in her name and for her to get her own insurance so I'm not on the hook if she has an accident driving it.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Yes, you can do this. You just need to sign a bill of sale that says you're transferring title to the vehicle to her, but you're retaining responsibility for the loan.

This is a common procedure - especially with parents who buy cars for their child.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So, do I need to go the Sec of State to fill out the bill of sale and request the tile change, and does she need to sign it as well?