How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25386
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I have went to court over a year ago and my support was

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have went to court over a year ago and my support was raised again and I don't get to see my children because the court told us in court that they were old enough to make their own decisions, rather they want to come and visit or not. They could not make them come over because of their ages. But yet I have to pay child support. Why don't I have my rights? Can I emancipate them and stop my child support since they don't come over anyway? It isn't fair that I have to pay child support and they don't come over on my visitations and the court doesn’t enforce the issue. That isn’t fair to me. I need to know what I can do. The courts are not fair to fathers who pay child support and make efforts to get their children but tell the children they don’t have to come. My x-wife knows I don’t have money for an attorney so that is why she gets away with it. I need help, please.
Subscription customers. An ACCEPT is credited to me but you are not charged. Followup questions WILL be answered if my first answer is acceptable.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but visitation and child support are two completely different issues to the court and are not interrelated. I understand that it is not fair that you have to pay child support but yet do not have a relationship with your children. I cannot help you with the relationship issues, only give you the facts on your legal situation. You can be forced by the state to pay child support but the state will not force your children to visit you. Even with an attorney you are unlikely to change that situation.There are some situations where there is no relief through the legal system and your situation is one of them.

Edited by lwpat on 8/1/2010 at 6:17 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can I request to terminate my rights since she has, & has always had, full total custody? If so, will my child support stop?
While you can voluntarily terminate your rights, the state will still make you pay child support. Sorry.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Because she has always let them run & do whatever they want, the oldest has been in some legal trouble & the youngest is getting out of hand. Now she is taking me back to court to try to get joint custody of the youngest, make him move in with me & says I cannot move out of the state of Indiana. Can the judge force me to take him? Financially, I cannot afford to have him.

No, the judge cannot force you to take custody. He can make you pay the support but not custody.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am taking classes online for game design. I will be done June of 2012. After I am done with school, I plan to move somewhere South & hopefully get a job doing what I went to school for. Can she make me stay in the state of Indiana?

No she cannot.


An accept for my time is always appreciated

lwpat and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions