Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

I owe back child support and want to make it right, I paid

I owe back child support and want to make it right, I paid sporatically or not at all for 10 years. I have got may life together and paid the maximun plus,for the last 4 years, how can get this put behind me without going bankrupt?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Is this court ordered support?

Are you paying through the court or the support agency?

Has the court set an arrearage amount?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm ordered to pay at least $100 per mo. max $500 I've paid $125 per week for the last 4 yrs. direct to ex. I have records of this, but not of anything prior. I was a drunk and didn't work very often in the 10 years , but paid when i did work.

Dear JACUSTOMER - If you have been ordered to pay through the bureau and you paid directly you could have a problem being credited with these payments. Any direct payments are considered the same as gifts if you are ordered to pay through the court so you need to stop making direct payments and pay through the court so there will be a record of your payments.

If there is an order to pay and you are making your payments then you should have not legal problems as far as contempt. Of course you can make excess payment if you can afford to do so which will reduce the arrearage but they must be made through the court if that is what the order says. If the order permits direct payments then you need to keep very good records in order to show what you have paid.

Dave Kennett