SC Law Attorney
SC Law Attorney, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have been practicing primarily in the field of Family Law for approximately 17 years

what can i do to remove a 24 year old from my home,that does

what can i do to remove a 24 year old from my home,that does not pay rent or help with anything at all to compensate him staying here. he is my wife's son not mine.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  SC Law Attorney replied 6 years ago.
The problem is that it's your wife's son, so if she doesn't want him out, he can stay. The attorney you asked otherwise, is correct. YOu would need to evict him, but again, if his mom lives there and says he can stay, he can stay. Sorry for the bad news. Don't shoot the messenger.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
just what part of the answer he gave is right,the part that says if he leaves the house i can change the locks on him or that i have to legally evict him. mom doesn;t want him here any more neither.
Oh, ok. If neither of you want him there, then technically, you would need to evict him. The other way, although not a legal way of evicting someone, may work (changing locks and putting his things outside): beware, you could be responsible for any lost, stolen or damaged property put out. The best was is to do the legal eviction. Hopefully he'll just leave knowing that neither of you want him there