SC Law Attorney
SC Law Attorney, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have been practicing primarily in the field of Family Law for approximately 17 years
20405397

My husband has suffered with bipolar for years. He has lived

Customer Question

My husband has suffered with bipolar for years. He has lived in a long term care facility for over 2 years. I have been receiving his Social Securiy Disability and giving him 250.00 a month. We have 4 children together 3 are under 18. I am wanting a divorce. I want to know about child support and what happens to the house we own together?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  SC Law Attorney replied 6 years ago.
Regarding child support, you can apply with SSI to see if the children qualify for benefits through their father. That will usually be considered a substitute for his support, that is, they'll get SSI instead of child support. As far as the house, you state it is jointly owned, and as such, it will be subject to division by the Court. He can agree, however, to transfer a larger interest to you if it will impact what he receives by way of SSI.