SC Law Attorney
SC Law Attorney, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have been practicing primarily in the field of Family Law for approximately 17 years

My daugher is 16 years old & we live in Louisiana. Her father

My daugher is 16 years old & we live in Louisiana. Her father & I share joint custody on a 7/7 rotation. My daughter is very mistreated when she is there & it's esculating towards abuse. Our Judge makes her see her father, even knowing how he treats her. She is a 3.7 student, Jr in high school, very good kid. I feel extremely helpless & do not know where to turn. I can not afford $5,000 for attorney to fight him anymore. Can she file for emancipation from him releasing him of all responsiblities which would then allow her to not be forced to spend 7 days in that house?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  SC Law Attorney replied 6 years ago.
No, emancipation would mean she is self-supportive, living on her own, and doesn't need either parent. Unfortunately, the only thing to file is a modification of the custodial arrangements and since you know it will be contested, you will most likely need an attorney. Another option, if you are remarried, is to see if he would be agreeable for you to file for termination of his parental rights, especially if he doesn't want her over there anyway. This way, he wouldn't have to pay child support, but he wouldn't have visitation rights anyway. I must say, I have never seen a judge force a party to visit who didn't want to. You could also try agreeing between yourselves that he doesn't have to visit.