Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

MY 7 YR OLD GRANDDAUGHTERS FATHER IS IN JAIL AND HER MOTHER

MY 7 YR OLD GRANDDAUGHTERS FATHER IS IN JAIL AND HER MOTHER IS IN ICU IN HOSPITAL AND WHEN SHE GETS OUT WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TAKE CARE OF HERSELF OR MUCH LESS HER DAUGHTER. I HAVE BEEN TAKING CARE OF HER FOR THE PAST YEAR AND A HALF AS WELL BECAUSE THE PARENTS HAVE BOTH BEEN INVOLVED IN DRUGS. DO I GET A LEGAL FORM TO FILL OUT FOR CUSTODY OF MY GRAND DAUGHTER AND THEN HAVE HER MOTHER AND FATHER SIGN THE DOCUMENT WHEN THEY ARE ABLE?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

If the parents are willing, you may have them sign a medical power of attorney to allow you to make medical decisions for you are granddaughter and a power of attorney regarding her education so that you can meet with her educators as required. You may purchase the power of attorney forms at a local office supply store such as Office Depot or Staples.

If the parents are unwilling or unable to sign the power of attorneys, you can apply for guardianship of your grandchild through the court. You will want to retain an attorney locally if the guardianship is required.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLANDNYLAWYER