Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

My 14 year old son wants to live with me; however, my ex-wife

My 14 year old son wants to live with me; however, my ex-wife is the primary care giver. I was told to get a signed affidavit from my son and have it notorized. She has told me that no judge will agree to this nor will she have to pay child support. I am a teacher with a full time job for 16 years.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

You will need to file for modification of your parenting plan based upon a change affecting the best interests of your child. A court will typically give great weight to the preference of a 14-year-old.

Age is not the only factor that is considered by the court. Typically, the court will take into consideration the maturity of the child and the child's reasons for requesting the change.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLANDNYLAWYER