Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.

Just to clarify, in Rhode Island, child support ends after

Just to clarify, in Rhode Island, child support ends after a child has graduated high school and is over the age of 18. Would this be correct?

Can child support continue even if the child is leaving for college and will be living there on a scholarship?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

That is correct, child support does end post 18 and after high school. Child support may continue until 21 if the child is regularly enrolled (and attends) an undergraduate program and is still deemed an "un-emancipated adult". To do that, you must file a modification of child support and request that the courts extend it. The courts generally extend it if the terms in the support agreement so reflect, or if the custodial parent can show that he or she is physically and financially unable to support the child while the child goes to college. That, however, is still up to the judge to provide--I would suggest that if you decide to file for such a modification you retain an attorney to assist you.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 8/1/2010 at 7:02 AM EST