How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Steven K. Your Own Question

Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1963
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Steven K. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Child custody issue... Father filed for emergency temporary

Customer Question

Child custody issue...
Father filed for emergency temporary custody of 2 year old, with TRO agaisnt the mother. Since the court has dismissed the TRO and granted mother with visitations up to 3 times a week and 2 hours each time. And the judge ordered both parties to medation to solve custody. Mother filed for divorce 5 months prior to this current case. Judge also granted mother with phone calls anytime anyday to child. Medation took place and father stone walled the entire time. Mother asked for more time with baby. Since medation a court date has not yet be given. Mother is asking Father for more time with baby.
My quesion is this--- Father says he will get in trouble with the court he thinks if he grants mother more time with child, without the judges order to do so. Is this true or does he have the power to work something out with mother????
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 5 years ago.
He does not "get in trouble" for giving mom more time (unless he is somehow endangering the child). However, it could prevent him from limiting mother's time in the future. For example, if he allows mother to have more time and then complains that the mother should not be allowed so much time, the court will probably not buy his argument. I think it is much more likely that father is using this as an excuse because he does not want to give mom more time. The whole point of mediation is to make a new order so that the court doesn't have to. The courts LOVE when parties resolve issues in mediation and let them off the hook! That's why they require mediation. I would recommend filing an Order to Show Cause and Application for Order to Show Cause asking for more time with the baby. I suspect that father will oppose this request so you will need to show why it is appropriate for mom to have more time with the baby.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did forget to add that temporary visitations are supervised, does this make that manditory? or could dad let baby go to moms home for lets say a afternoon with out dads mom watching it all?
Expert:  Steven K. replied 5 years ago.
If the court order says visitation is supervised, he would be ill advised to allow unsupervised visitation. He would not go to jail or pay a fine, but the court could be very angry with him and might not grant him continuing supervised visitation if he did so. Or, if the Court felt that he was not protecting the child, the Court could refer the child to Children's Protective Services and the child could become a ward of the court. Then, neither parent would have custody and the matter would have to be addressed in dependency court instead of family court.

I have seen people allow parents to have unsupervised visitation even though the court order only allows supervised visitation and nobody got in trouble. However, that is usually in a situation where the real reason for the supervision no longer exists and the parties simply never bothered returning to court to change the order. Usually, a great deal of time has passed.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely

    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: