Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My ex husband recently informed me that he has retired from

My ex husband recently informed me that he has "retired" from his military job, and is no longer obligated to pay child support or provide health insurance for our 9 year old son, although he has been court ordered to do so. His wages had to be garnished up to this point. My question is, if he receives retirement, can that be garnished? Also, is he still obligated to carry health ins.? Thank you so much for your time. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Military retirement can be used to pay child support and your child is entitled to it.

If there is a court order requiring him to provide health insurance for the child/children, he has to do so.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it necessary for me to hire a lawyer to continue garnishing him, or does it automatically switch over? I don't have the financial means to hire a lawyer at this time, so if there is a way for me to insure this happens without going to court again, that would be wonderful. I'm just not sure where to begin. Again, thank you so much, I deeply appreciate you help. Sincerely, Brandi
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.
I think you should hire an attorney to make sure you get this done correctly. Also, an attorney will get this done faster and in front of the court quicker than if you do this alone.