How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31529
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I currently live in Washington and my kids and I are planning

Resolved Question:

I currently live in Washington and my kids and I are planning on moving to Louisiana. I have a written parenting plan signed by my kids father giving me full custody and am going through child support enforcement for child support, which my kids father hasn't paid in nearly 2 years. Is it still legal for me to move with my children away from thier father without his approval?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Child support isn't directly related to child custody. Even if the parent is not paying child support, he has a right to visitation.


Therefore, if the father has visitation rights or custody rights of any kind, or if there is a provision in the divorce decree (if you were married) that says you can't move the child more than a certain number of miles from the other parent without a court order, you'll have to file a motion with the court to get permission to move.



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What would constitute as having visitation rights? If we have never been to court and dont have a court custody order then would I still need to file a motion to get permission to move?

Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

If there is no court order in place preventing your rights to the child, you can take the child anywhere you want. However, if the father had a change of heart, he could file a court petition to establish visitation rights, etc., which could throw a kink in your plans.


If you go, my suggestion is that you get an agreement signed by the father - if you don't want to go to court. If the father will not agree to sign an agreement, you should go to court.

Roger and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you