Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

I already know and understand that the answer you give is not

I already know and understand that the answer you give is not a definite but in your experience. What is my chance of having to pay alimony? I did go outside the marriage sexually and my wife has never worked. Even though she has a cosmetology lic. and I have been asking her for years to work and help out financially. Child support is already going to be taking almost half of my check will they take even more to make me support her on top of the child support?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

How long have you been married to your spouse?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
10 years
Thank you for your follow-up.

You have a fairly large chance (almost certain) that you will be required to pay alimony, both on length of marriage (10 years is long enough), and your infidelity, which the other person can claim was the cause of the split and therefore the alimony would be required by you to pay the other party in essence for damages.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 7/1/2010 at 6:12 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would this be a limitless thing or would it be for a period of time until she gets on her feet. And what if the infidelity wasn't the cause of the split but her lack of willingness to get a job after repeated requests for help financially. So it wasn't that I could afford for her not to work but she refused to work. Will that help at all?
Thank you for your patience.

Such alimony would probably not be limitless, as you were not married long enough for that to be an equitable solution. However you are probably looking at about 5 years of alimony, at the least. Sorry, if she can prove infidelity on your part, other causes would not be deemed as important.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 7/1/2010 at 6:44 PM EST