Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Where would I go to find the new statutes regarding proper

Customer Question

Where would I go to find the 'new' statutes regarding property purchased as sole and separate because the other spouse's credit was able to be used in securing the loan. I know there was something passed that can warrant the looking into the reasons for one spouse signing a Quit Claim Deed... I had my idenity stolen. since that time everything was put into my husband's name... now we are getting a divorce and he is claiming our home as his sole and separate property... is there anything I can do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Community and separate property are not statutized in Idaho. It is legal doctrine which has been applied and recognized throughout all of US; few states put it in statute.Separate property and debt is property that is generally:

1. Only your name appears on the account, title, ownership, and or registration document; or

2. Acquired by gift or will or similar legal way by spouse during marriage; or

3. Declared as such by prenup or postup; or

4. Traceable property purchased by one spouse only; or

5. Tort Recovery for personal injury, but not medical expenses or loss of earning capacity.

Community Property and debt is everything else, including but not limited to:

1. Income from BOTH parties; or

2. Declared as such by prenup and postup; or

3. Gift from one spouse to another; or

4; All titled and non-titled property gathered during marriage.

Community property is AUTOMATICALLY ASSUMED unless proven to be separate property by a party “by a preponderance of the evidence.” Community property and debt is split 50/50.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

This is not an answer to my question.

I know there is something that was passed. it may not be called what I called it. However, it does have to do with 'why one spouse gave interest over to another" I am not satisfied with this answer.

Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
Dear Customer,There is no new law that just came out. If you do not believe me, you can compare the summary I gave you with the actual Idaho Domestic Relations code, which governs SOME aspects of community/separate property, and is the only code of the state to do so. Any changes to this matter would be updated here:
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I will not agree to pay $28 for the answer and do not want any other answers. I found the accurate information on my own.