Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

My 16 year old step-son wants to move from his mothers home

My 16 year old step-son wants to move from his mother's home into his dad's. Dads home is ~5 miles from moms home, however, dad lives in a neighboring town, same state. Mom is refusing to allow her son to move in with dad. Can dad hire an attorney for his son to change his redisdence and move? We are in Missouri.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.

hi

yes. if there is a court order currently in place giving custody to the Mom, then the Dad needs to file for a Modification. he can get the documents from the clerk of the court, if he feels he would like to try it without an attorney

he also can request that court hear from the son in chambers as to his desires. the court will take what the son wants into consideration when making a decision

the Dad needs to be prepared to show that he can provide a good and solid home environment for his son.