Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My father has a trial next Thursday. He is going to court to

My father has a trial next Thursday. He is going to court to fight a restraining order my aunt has unfairly served him with. They have lived together for their entire lives, even when my aunt got married and had her two children. My father and my aunt's husband do not get along, and now, after 20+ years, my aunt has decided she wants my father out of her house. She lied and said my father is threatening; in court, my father wants to have witnesses to come in to support him, and the truth. If a witness can't come, is there a way to have a document, like a letter from them, written to be used in court?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Yes, but it won't be as affective. They can submit what is called an AFFIDAVIT. But there are special rules for this, including notarized signatures and that they need to be served unto the other party within a certain amount of time BEFORE the court date if they are to be used as evidence.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My father had the hearing this morning in NJ, and his trial is next Thursday in NJ. Do you know the details of how to get started on obtaining affadavits? And the other party, meaning my aunt? would need to sign something? To get them notarized would the witness need to go to a notary?
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
Yes, whoever wants to testify but cannot make it need to pull an affidavit sample from online and write what they want to in it, have it notarized, and sent to him, and he'd bring that to court. Yes, it'd need to be notarized.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When you said "including notarized signatures and that they need to be served unto the other party within a certain amount of time BEFORE the court date if they are to be used as evidence." you were talking about the witnesses? Or you were saying that after my father obtains the affidavits, they need to be given to my aunt so she can see what he is using as evidence?
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
The latter, i.e., once he obtains the affidavits.
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got it, thank you!
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
Welcome :)