Cedric
Cedric, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Representation of Clients in Family Courts for Criminal and Civil Matters for several years
14986957

the state of utah office of recovery services is coming after

Customer Question

the state of utah office of recovery services is coming after me for child support on a child that is supposedly mine. the mother says that he is mine and we had a private lab do a paternity test that says he is mine. I filed for custody originaly but after she dissapeared and lack of money the case went into stand still. Now she is seeking child suport and the courts or state dont have proof of paternity what should I do. At the time of conception this woman was married to another man. Do I have to do a paternity? and because I opened the original custody case does that opbligate me to pay child support ? what are the laws for them mandating me to take test is there a place where I can go to read the laws? as I dont have the money to hire an attorney for this case.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Cedric replied 6 years ago.
The original custody case means that you cannot contest paternity at this time, and you can unfortunately still be forced to pay child support.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can I drop the original case? what are my options?