RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .

My sister is 18 years old. She is currently living in California.

Customer Question

My sister is 18 years old. She is currently living in California. She will be coming down to live with me (older sister) so she can repeat her 12th grade in High School. The issue that I am running into is that in the state of California she is of legal age and they will not do any guardianship paperwork. But here in Alabama she has to have a legal guardian in order for her to go to school. Our mother is in California and her father is in Georgia. Can the guardianship paperwork be done here in Alabama if my mom were to come here and do it? Or what paperwork can be done without my mom coming down here to Alabama?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 years ago.
Well you rmother could come down and enroll her here using your address.That might be enough to get her into shcool and avoid guardianship here.Thats a real option here to try and avoid a one year guardianship.And honestly it protects you in case little sister gets into trouble