How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our family owned property in ascension parish, the deed is

Resolved Question:

Our family owned property in ascension parish, the deed is in the original owners name, which has been passed down 3 generations. how can we bring that deed current as we are thinking of selling the property?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

You can file a quiet title action. A quiet title action is an action that is filed to clear up clouds on title and indicate the current owner in the property records. The action will require that you retain local counsel
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with the term, quiet title action.
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
A quiet title action is an action that is brought to determine ownership of property. Currently the ownership is legally unclear as the deed does not reflect the current owners names. A quiet title action would clear this cloud on title so that the deed reflects the proper owners names
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will I need the original deed to do this as I do not have it?
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
No. You will not require the original deed.
Ellen and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions